UCP Seguin of Greater Chicago seeks an Art Education Student as a Volunteer or Intern Instructor. This Art Education Field Opportunity would help clients with developmental disabilities develop their self-expression, motor skills, concentration, and confidence through motivating and inspirational art activity.
UCP Seguin’s Life Skills Program serves men and women with developmental disabilities ages 18 and older. Life Skills Staff provide participants with a full range of daytime services to enrich their lives and promote their personal growth. UCP Seguin provides activities including exercise and movement therapy, art, dance and music enrichment, horticulture therapy, daily living skills enhancement, safety skills enhancement, life experience classes and assistance with self-advocacy.
The Life Skills Program also offers participants opportunities to engage in vocational experiences within UCP Seguin’s program centers and at volunteer sites in the community.
As part of the UCP Seguin Life Skills Program, the Art Education Student Volunteer or Intern assisted by Life Skills staff, will have the opportunity to work in a small-group classroom setting, developing their teaching skills as they develop and conduct art projects with adult participants with intellectual and physical disabilities.
Qualifications include -
• Must be a mature college student [Junior level or above] who is an active communicator, reliable, patient and enjoy helping
• Interested in gaining practical experience in teaching Art
• Have a grade point avg. of 3.0 or above
• Seeking non-paid practical experience
• Must be willing to work a minimum of 2 days and 12 hrs/wk for a minimum of 12 weeks.
• Ability to speak Spanish is a plus, but not required.
• Having demonstrated a strong interest in helping others through prior work or volunteering in the field is a plus.
• Open to students seeking course credit depending on supervision credential requirements and approval of the school.
Mentoring and supervision are provided, and the Art Education Student Volunteer must agree to attend agency-required training. All UCP Seguin Volunteers and Interns must have access to their own vehicle for the duration of their time at UCP Seguin. Agency related vehicle use is reimbursed at $.45/mile.
Students interested in pursuing this opportunity, please contact
Andi Hastings, M.A., LCSW, ACSW